When connecting your SlingStudio unit to a Wi-Fi network in the field, you may find that the network that you're connecting to uses WPA-Enterprise or WPA2-Enterprise security. This is often used both in corporate and in institutional environments.
Such networks require you to have both a username and a password to sign on to the Wi-Fi network. If you don't have these, check with the administrator for that network.
Connecting to a WPA-Enterprise/WPA2-Enterprise Wi-Fi hotspot
To connect to a WPA-Enterprise or WPA2-Enterprise Wi-Fi network:
- Launch SlingStudio Console. In the main screen, from the icons in the lower-right, click INTERNET.
The Internet Settings dialog box opens.
- In Internet Settings, under CHOOSE A NETWORK, look for the network that you want to use.
- If the SSID (network name) appears in the CHOOSE A NETWORK list:
- Click to select the WPA-Enterprise/WPA2-Enterprise Wi-Fi network that you want to work with.
A dialog box appears.
- In the dialog box, enter your username and password, and then connect to the network.
Your SlingStudio unit connects to the WPA-Enterprise/WPA2-Enterprise Wi-Fi network, and you're done.
- If the SSID (network name) does not appear in the CHOOSE A NETWORK list:
- Scroll to the end of the list and click Other...
The OTHER NETWORKS dialog box opens.
- Click the NAME field, and then type the name of the WPA-Enterprise/WPA2-Enterprise network that you want to connect your SlingStudio unit to.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to type carefully! The network name must be entered correctly.
- Click the SECURITY field and then choose either WPA2 Enterprise or WPA2 Enterprise from the list, whichever is appropriate for the network that you're connecting to.
- Enter your username and password.
If you're not sure what to enter for username and/or password, then check with the administrator of the Wi-Fi hotspot that you want to connect to.
- When you're finished entering the correct information, click JOIN.
The SlingStudio connects to the Wi-Fi network that you have specified.
- Need to connect using a static IP address?
- At the far right of the listing for the hidden network that you just joined, click the blue circled "i" icon.
The network's IP address dialog box opens.
- To the right of Configure IP, click Automatic and change the setting to Manual.
Additional settings appear.
- Click the settings to edit the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Router entries using the figures provided by the network's administrator.
- Click SAVE, then close the IP address dialog box.
EAP extensions supported by SlingStudio Console
WPA-Enterprise and WPA2-Enterprise Wi-Fi networks use EAP extensions to improve compatibility with various devices that might need to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
SlingStudio Console supports these EAP extensions:
Can't connect to the network?
Note that there are some limitations:
- These TLS modes are not supported:
- EAP-TTLS/MSCHAPv2 (April 2005)
- Server-level authentication is also not supported
Check with your network administrator
Beyond these limitations, if you have questions about compatibility, or are having trouble connecting to the Wi-Fi network, please contact the network's administrator. That person knows the network's setup, has access to administrative tools, and is by far the best source for information and troubleshooting.