You can connect your SlingStudio to the Internet in either of two ways:
- A Wi-Fi connection to a nearby Wi-Fi router that offers Internet service;
- An Ethernet cable to a network connection that offers Internet access. (This Ethernet cable is connected to your SlingStudio unit via the Ethernet input on the optional SlingStudio USB-C Expander product.)
Note: An Internet connection being used by a SlingStudio hub is intended solely for streaming video content to services such as Facebook Live or YouTube. This connection needs to be dedicated solely for this purpose, otherwise streaming results could be degraded because of lack of network bandwidth.
When the SlingStudio device is properly receiving Internet service from an Ethernet cable, the SlingStudio INTERNET LED glows steadily green. You can also see this status display in the Console app:
- iPad: Under Options (the "gear" icon). Tap Internet Settings to see the status.
- Mac: Choose Internet Settings from the System menu to see your network connection's status.
If you can't get Ethernet to work properly via the USB-C port, make sure that:
- SlingStudio is properly powered up and available via the Console app on your iPad or Mac.
- The Ethernet cable that you're using offers a connection to your local network as well as Internet access. It's important to understand that those are two different things! A network connection can offer only access to the local network, but not Internet access. You need to have both.
- If you have network access, but not Internet access, then the SlingStudio INTERNET LED glows amber.
- If you have both network and Internet access, then the SlingStudio INTERNET LED glows green.
- You can test the Ethernet cable by connecting it to a computer (be sure to shut off the computer's Wi-Fi networking) and then opening a web browser. Can you connect to websites? If not, then the Ethernet cable isn't functioning properly. Try another network cable.
- As a last resort, the SlingStudio USB-C Expander product could be faulty. Try another one if you can.
If you're unable to resolve this problem, please call SlingStudio customer support.